Friday, August 30, 2013

A Parkinson Family Tradition.


On August 12th, Nory had her very first half birthday (a.k.a. she turned 6 months old)!  Not many people choose to celebrate these birthday's, but it's something we've decided to do in our family. It's a special occasion marked by a half cake and a happy day.  Of course, Nory wasn't old enough to enjoy the cake herself, but she was there for the singing and candles and happiness that came along with it.  It really wasn't a selfish endeavour.  Hear me out!


It's true that I love to bake.  Making and decorating cakes and cupcakes is one of my favourite activities.  I've got boards on Pinterest dedicated to these desserts, as well as apps on my iPhone with ideas and recipes.

It's also true that I love to look for things to celebrate.  In the past, I've created World Peace Day cookies, purchased "WELCOME BACK HOCKEY" cakes, eaten APPLE PIE on Pi Day, and thrown a princess party for the Royal Wedding.   I'll sit in the dark for Earth Hour, wait anxiously to hear what the groundhog did, and circle every "hump day" on the calendar at work.  I could tell you when Grandparents Day is off the top of my head and I'm fully prepared for a "MISSING CANADA" party should the need arise.  As for the holidays that everyone knows about?  I'm the most enthusiastic participant you can think of.  To this day I distribute Valentine's Day cards and I would celebrate Christmas year-round if it were considered appropriate (instead, I start in October). 

You get the picture.  "CELEBRATE EVERYTHING" seems to be a life motto of mine.  Some may say it's silly, but obviously I think it's genius.  I believe in having something to look forward to and I believe in appreciating the little things.  If these two things are true, bad days are survivable and happiness is an everyday experience.  THIS is something I want my daughter to learn. And that her Mama is one of the funnest people ever ;)   

So in this family of ours.  This sweet, little, three-person unit we've got going on.  We're going to celebrate everything.  Including half birthdays.  Including Phil's 30th birthday next Thursday. 


HAPPY FIRST HALF BIRTHDAY (blog belated) to the newest love of our lives!  You're just starting to see how fun this place really is!  We love you! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...